KING COUNTY, WA
How to Prevent Mold From
Investing Your Home
It's never a good day when you as a homeowner discovers mold, especially dangerous mold, somewhere in the home.
Mold removal services are costly, and the process is lengthy. Not to mention, the presence of mold in your home can lead to serious health hazards, including allergies, asthma, wheezing and so forth. The best way to never have to use a mold remediation specialist is to be pro active.
How to prevent mold in your house
Here are some general guidelines for you to follow particularly in high moisture levels areas, or you live in a region where humidity is high. However, even homes located in drier climates can be subject to moisture problems:
• Homes with insufficient protection in the crawl space present high risk for mold growth. Installing the proper sheet of polyethylene moisture barrier that keeps the moisture from seeping through it, and mold from growing on any surfaces in the crawl space.
• Check the foundation, and ensure that the outside grade slopes away from the home so that ground water and heavy rain doesn't move toward the foundation of the home.
• The home's drain field systems should always run away from the home. Runoff from gutters and downspouts should also let water move away from the home, water against the house can cause significant damage to your home and can also cause moisture issues — and mold growth.
• A commercial size dehumidifier should be used in a damp basement to keep it dry.
• Keep an eye on any stored items in the basement. When contents like clothing, paper or cardboard come in contact with moisture, they're likely to cause mold to grow.
• Avoid carpeting areas like bathrooms, kitchen’s or basements. Moisture that soaks into them is hard to keep dry, and mold loves to grow in those areas.
• Make sure the venting for the clothes dryer is directed outside of the house, so that warm, moist air stays outside for the home. All exhaust fans in the home should do the same.
• Houseplants may cause moisture as well. If you have houseplants around the home, they could also be contribute to higher-than-necessary moisture levels.
• Always run an exhaust fan during and after showering or bathing to quickly remove the moisture produced by these steam, and send it outside of the home. Any moisture remaining can cause mildew and mold to grow in the corners and crevices, caulk and so forth.
• The simply cooking food on a stove will generate moisture, too. Always run your stove exhaust fan while cooking, and for several minutes after cooking. If your home doesn't have an exhaust fan in the kitchen, consider having one installed.
• Periodically check under cabinets, supply lines, for areas for plumbing leaks might a cure. Water when left unchecked can quickly turn to mold. Fix all leaks immediately when you find them.
Stop mold growth to avoid home mold removal costs
Mold in the your home can cause major risks to more than your health. It can also lead to time-consuming and costly mold remediation.
If you have discovered mold in your home, always contact a professional mold removal expert to safely and quickly help with the problem.
Have you had trouble with mold or had to hire a mold remediation company? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
"Faster To Any Size Disaster"